The Game is Changing
Between new developments in AI with platforms like ChatGPT, and the explosive war between Google and TikTok on the frontier of vertical, short form video – 2023 is set to be a wild content showdown.
If you’re like any other business owner or marketer, you’re probably overwhelmed at the rate which content algorithms and trends are changing. It seems almost impossible to keep up, stay relevant, and maintain a strong position in your industry.
That’s why having a comprehensive content marketing plan is essential. Whether you’re a small business or a large corporation, your content marketing strategy should be tailored to meet the needs of your target audience and drive results. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps you need to take to develop a plan for success in 2023.
In this article, we’ll discuss the key steps you can take to develop a winning content marketing plan in 2023. From understanding your target audience to tracking your results, we’ll cover everything you need to know to drive engagement and increase conversion.
Planning for Success: Understanding Your Target Audience
The first step in developing a winning content marketing plan is to understand your target audience. Do not gloss over the importance of this step. Otherwise, you will be stuck creating content that appeals to anyone, and resonates with no one.
Know Who You’re Speaking To
You need to know what motivates the person you are speaking to when you publish a piece of content. What they’re interested in, what type of content they prefer, how they spend their time, and what platforms they primarily use.
This information will help you create content that resonates with your target audience and drives results. To get a better understanding of your target audience, you can use a variety of tools, such as:
- Surveys: Ask your existing customers or audience members about their preferences and interests. This will give you valuable insights into what they want to see from your brand.
- Demographic Data: Use tools like Google Analytics, Meta (Facebook & Instagram) analytics to gather data on your audience’s age, location, gender, and other key information.
- Social Media Trends: Monitor your social media channels to see what your audience is talking about and what type of content they engage with the most.
Importance of Buyer Personas
By gathering this information, you can create buyer personas that represent your ideal customer. These personas will help you tailor your content to meet the specific needs and interests of your target audience. But keep in mind that your audience will change over time.
Setting Goals and Objectives
Once you have a solid understanding of your target audience, it’s time to set your content marketing goals and objectives. Your goals should align with your overall business strategy and be measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART).
For example, if your goal is to increase brand awareness, you may set a target to reach a certain number of new followers on social media or to receive a certain amount of website traffic.
Be clear, and be realistic. Understand that follower count, post impressions, and other success metrics may be meaningless if they do not ultimately contribute to the end goal.
Creating a Content Marketing Strategy
With your target audience and goals in mind, it’s time to start developing your content marketing strategy. This includes deciding on the type of content you want to create, how you will distribute it, and how you will measure your results.
Choosing the Right Channel
When it comes to content creation, it’s important to diversify your approach at first to experiment with the formats that best fit your company or product. This could include:
- Blog Posts: Share industry insights, company updates, and other valuable information with your audience. Increases SEO optimization and drives traffic.
- Video Content: The power of video is unbelievable. Users are 90% more likely to retain key information points from a video than from written or audio content. Long form videos are great for educational and informative content, while short form video is best for key updates, generating brand awareness, and vitality.
- Carousels: LinkedIn and Instagram algorithms are still heavily promoting carousel posts in users’ feeds. Carousel posts offer an amazing level of interactivity, story telling capability, and creativity in delivering lots of information at once. Don’t skimp on creating unique swipes for your audience.
- Ads: Promotional advertisements on social media are tricky. When looking to run ads, UGC (user generated content), or otherwise referred to as organic content, tends to win out. Boring, bland, and overtly corporate ads are nothing more than interruptions in a user’s timeline. People trust people, not brands.
- Micro-Influencers: There has never been a more effective way to garner attention and trust with such limited budget – until now. Micro-Influencers are accounts with <100k followers and typically charge $100-10k for sponsored posts. It is one of the highest converting sales channels available to brands, and requires very little marketing strategy to see results.
The final step in developing a winning content marketing plan is to track and measure your results. This will help you determine what’s working and what’s not, and make necessary adjustments to your strategy.
Content Analytics Tools:
- Google Analytics: Monitor website traffic, engagement, and other key metrics.
- Social Media Analytics: Most platforms are building more comprehensive analytics services and dashboards to track your social media performance, including follower growth and engagement rates. Keep track week-to-week for changes in growth, but look key results within 20-25 weeks.
- Email Marketing Metrics: Track open and click-through rates for your email campaigns. Run A/B testing on subject lines, content, and structure.
- Comment Section: Check the comments for direct user feedback on your posts. Authentic content with added value will more often than not inspire users to respond and share their thoughts. You can also invite engagement by running polls, giveaways, and other interactive content methods.
By regularly monitoring your results, you can make data-driven decisions to improve your content marketing efforts and achieve your goals.
Q: How often should I update my content marketing plan?
A: It’s a good idea to review and update your content marketing frequently. Depending on your business or goals, this could mean changing things up every month, or every 6 months. Keep in mind, the platform trends and algorithm changes will influence these decisions for you. This will help you stay ahead of changes in the digital landscape and adjust your strategy as needed.
Q: Do I need a large budget to create a successful content marketing plan?
A: No, a large budget is not necessarily required to create a successful content marketing plan. By focusing on your target audience and setting clear goals and objectives, you can create a plan that delivers results, regardless of your budget.
A comprehensive content marketing plan is essential for success in today’s digital landscape. By understanding your target audience, setting goals and objectives, creating a strategy, and
measuring your results, you can create a winning content marketing plan that delivers results. Remember, your content marketing plan should evolve over time to keep up with the changing needs of your target audience and the latest trends in the digital world.
So, always be open to experimenting and testing new strategies, as this can help you stay ahead of the competition and continue to grow your business. Whether you’re a small business or a large corporation, a well-crafted content marketing plan is key to building brand awareness, driving traffic and engagement, and achieving long-term success.
Need More Help with Content Marketing?
If you’re struggling to put together a winning content marketing plan, we can help. Our team of experts is here to solve the challenge with you and help align your business goals with a strategic marketing plan.
Whether you’re starting from scratch or looking to revamp your current content marketing strategy, we can help you create a comprehensive plan that delivers results. Contact us today to get started.